Taking a page from TV’s David Letterman, here’s a top ten list you can use:
The Top Ten Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen…
10. Your Thermapen doesn’t test “doneness,” it tests temperature very accurately. Armed with highly accurate and timely information, you get to decide just when to pull things off the heat (see our ThermoWorks-approved, Chef-Recommended Temperature Table to get you started).
9. Your Thermapen doesn’t lock in on a reading like a bathroom scale. It is accurate enough to show the ever-changing temperature of your food while it is cooking, particularly if your Thermapen display is showing tenths of a degree (which is the default setting, see To Tenths or Not to Tenths).
8. Never leave your Thermapen in an oven while cooking (see Your Thermapen Deserves Care).
7. In general, be sure to thaw meats before cooking (see Turkey Temps and Tips).
6. Remember that the temperature of meat normally continues to rise a bit after you remove it from the oven or grill (see Give Your Meat a Rest).
5. Don’t test the accuracy of a thermometer in food. Use a properly made ice bath (see Making a Proper Ice Bath).
4. The battery compartment cover is tight for water-resistance. Be careful not to force it open (see How to Change the Batteries).
3. Be sure to clean your Thermapen probe after every exposure to uncooked meat (see Your Thermapen Deserves Care).
2. Wipe your Thermapen regularly, but don’t place it under the tap, submerge it, or put it in the dishwasher (see Your Thermapen Deserves Care).
And the number one Tip for Getting the Most Out of Your Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen…
1. Your Thermapen measures temperatures with a micro-thermocouple at the very tip of its probe. Penetrate your food with the probe tip where you want to measure—usually the center of the thickest part of your food.