For the smoothest, most decadent icing for your cakes, you should use French Buttercream. This icing uses a hot sugar syrup to cook the eggs and yolks in the mixture, resulting in a rich and luscious texture that is simply unbeatable on any cake. And who better to teach this method than the pastry experts at the French Pastry school? This recipe includes all the critical temperatures and tips you’ll need to get perfect results with this icing.
And for even more amazing recipes, complete with full-on how-to lessons, check out the Butter Book. It’s a full classical education in pastry arts created by The French Pastry School. It is loaded with hundreds of recipes as well as lessons that go beyond the recipe to help you understand the fundamentals of pastry and desserts. It’s well worth exploring!Print
French Buttercream Icing, from the French Pastry School.
- 500 g Butter, unsalted
- 1 g Sea salt
- 5 g Bourbon vanilla extract
- 10 g Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100 g Whole eggs
- 40 g Egg yolks
- 50 g Water
- 160 g Granulated sugar
- 30 g Corn syrup
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Verify the temperature with Thermapen® ONE.
- Whip the butter, salt, and vanilla in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and ﬂuﬀy.
- Add the lemon juice. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Wash the stand mixer bowl and start whipping the whole egg and egg yolks using the whisk attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the water, sugar, and corn syrup to 250°F (121°C) in a small saucepan. (subtract 1°F for each 500ft elevation above sea level.)
- While whipping the egg mixture on medium speed, slowly pour in the sugar syrup near the side of the bowl.
- Then, whip on high speed for 3 minutes until the egg mixture is cooled to 104°F (40°C).
- While on low speed, add the butter mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until light and ﬂuﬀy.
- Use immediately to fill and frost your cakes.
- Buttercream can also be stored in a refrigerator for up to three days or the freezer for up to one month.
Shop now for products used in this post: