For an extravagant meal, try this steak Oscar—A smoked and seared filet toppped with Béarnaise sauce and king crab with a side of char-seared asparagus.Print
Steak Oscar, as seen in our video.
For the essence
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh tarragon finely chopped
- ¼ C red or white wine vinegar
- ¼ C white or red wine
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 8 ounces clarified butter—melt butter in sauce pan, medium-low heat, and remove cloudy butter solids, reserve clear butter fat. This can be done and refrigerated ahead of time, then brought back to room temperature before using.
- fresh lemon juice, as needed.
- 1 Fresno pepper, finely chopped
For the plating
- 2 filet steaks
- King crab meat, precooked
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Salt, pepper, oil
- 1/2 stick butter, juice of half a lemon
Smoke the beef fillet
- Salt and Pepper Fillet
- Insert the probe from a Smoke® X2 into one of the steaks and smoke the fillets at 225°F (107°C) until an internal temp of 105°F (41°C) is achieved (set the high-temp alarm on the Smoke X2 for 105°F).
Prepare the essence for the Bearnaise
In a skillet or saucepan combine all ingredients and reduce until the pan is almost dry. Set aside to use later. This can be done and refrigerated ahead of time
Prepare the Hollandaise base for the Bearnaise
- Pre-heat griddle on Sidekick or modular cooking system to medium-low. (Tip: Since we are using the thickness of the griddle to disperse heat, we can use a stainless-steel mixing bowl as our cooking vessel. Stainless steel bowl allows easier mixing and heat control. If we start to cook too fast, simply lift the bowl up and continuing mixing while it cools. Heat control is key, go slowly.)
- Add the four egg yolks and essence and peppers to the bowl and whisk over medium-low heat until airy and slightly thickened. Use a Thermapen® Mk4 to bring the yolks up to about 120°F (49°C).
- Add about a teaspoon of the clarified butter while still whisking vigorously.
- Once the butter has been incorporated add another teaspoon of clarified butter.
- After a couple of teaspoons have been absorbed, slowly pour the remaining butter in slowly while continuing to whisk, thicken, emulsify and the heat sauce. Thin as necessary with fresh lemon juice.
- Using a high-quality instant-read thermometer like the Thermapen, heat the sauce to the temp of 120°F (49°C).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the Bearnaise
- Add the reserved essence and the chopped Fresno chili to the hollandaise base.
- Reserve in a not-too-warm spot until ready to serve.
Warm the crab
- Place the crab meat, the half-stick of butter, and the juice of half a lemon in a small saute pan and place it in the smoker.
Sear the steaks
- When the alarm sounds on the steaks, verify the temperature with your Thermapen, then remove the steaks from heat.
- Heat your griddle to high heat. Sear the steaks until they reach an internal temperature of 120°F (49°C) for medium-rare.
- Set the steaks aside to rest.
Cook the asparagus
- Toss the halved asparagus onto the hot griddle, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until well charred in many places, about 1 minute if your griddle is appropriately hot.
Assemble the dish
- Remove the crab from the smoker.
- Plate the steaks, top with bearnaise sauce and crab. Pile on the asparagus.