Dan Phelps, of LearningToSmoke.com, has done it again! We’re always happy to have great barbecuers and grillers Bring the Heat and show us their favorite dishes, and this was no exception. Dan prepared some juicy, flavorful, perfectly cooked beef tri-tip sandwiches and we were the beneficiaries. But you can be too!
Watch the video, then follow the recipe below to recreate these delicious sandwiches for your family and friends. Follow Dan’s temperature tips and tool recommendations to make it just right the first time.Print
Delicious smoke-roasted and seared tri-tip steak sandwiches from Dan Phelps of LearningToSmoke.com
For the meat:
- 1 tri-tip, trimmed
- BBQ rub of your choice (something with citrus is nice in this case)
For the sauce and sandwiches:
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 1/4 C prepared horseradish
- ~1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary, minced
- ~1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- Havarti cheese, arugula, and buns for serving
- Preheat your smoker/grill to 250°F (121°C) using your Smoke X® thermometer and Billows® BBQ Control Fan.
- Season the tri-tip well with BBQ rub.
- Place the meat in the smoker, insert a probe into the thickest part, and set the high-temp alarm on the meat channel of your Smoke X to 127°F (53°C).
- Smoke the meat.
- Meanwhile, mix up the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- When the high-temp alarm sounds, verify the temperature with your Thermapen® ONE and, if the whole thing has reached temp, remove the meat from the smoker.
- Either heat a grill or turn the smoker up to direct-heat grilling mode.
- Put the meat back on the smoker or grill and sear the surface for 1-2 minutes per side to get a nice crust.
- Allow the meat to rest for 5–10 minutes. During this time, toast the buns on the grill.
- Slice the meat, dress the buns with sauce, and build your sandwiches! Serve!