Lobster Thermidor, adapted from the recipe provided by LobsterAnywhere.
- 2 raw lobster tails, thawed
- 1/4 C minced red pepper
- 1/2 C sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 C thinly sliced, rinsed leeks (white and light green part only)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 C dry sherry or white wine
- 3/4 C light cream or half and half
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 C shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese (ideally freshly grated)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Steam the lobster tails
- Set up a steamer.
- Insert a waterproof needle probe into the 4th joint of the back of the lobster shell so that the tip of the probe is in the thickest part of the tail meat. Set the high-temp alarm on your Smoke X2 to 140°F (60°C).
- Steam the lobster tails until the high-temp alarm sounds. Verify that there are no temps lower than your target with your Thermapen® ONE.
- Place the tails on a plate or pan and put them in the refrigerator to cool. (The cooling will help prevent any overcooking later.)
Make the filling
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Saute the mushrooms and pepper in the oil until browned somewhat. Set aside in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and sautee the leeks until well wilted and somewhat browned.
- Stir the flour into the buttery leeks. Cook for about 1 minute to make a roux.
- Add the wine and let it boil, stir in the cream. Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk the whole thing to create a thick creamy leek sauce.
- Stir in the lemon juice, tarragon, and parsley.
- Whisk in the Gruyere. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Remove the thickened cheese/leek sauce from heat. Stir in the mushroom/pepper mixture. It will be very thick.
- Cut your lobster tails in half the long way using kitchen shears. Remove the meat from each shell half and chop all the meat coarsely with a good knife. Keep the shells for stuffing.
- Gently mix the lobster meat into the prepared filling mixture.
Stuff the tails and bake
- Spoon the lobster filling into the reserved shell halves. You can mound it up in the shells a bit, it shouldn’t run out.
- Sprinkle each tail half with parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake the tails for 10–12 minutes in the hot oven. They should be slightly browned on top
- Remove the tails from the oven and serve with crusty bread, a zesty salad, bubbly drinks, and plenty of good cheer.