Perfect prime rib is all about temperature control. Here’s how to get it just right.
- 1 prime rib, size determined by need
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim your rib how you like it best.
- Generously salt the roast, insert a thermometer probe near the edge of the roast, set the low-temp alarm of your ChefAlarm for 30°F (-1°C) and place the roast in the freezer.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 225°F (107°C).
- When the low-temp alarm sounds, remove your roast from the freezer.
- Heat a heavy skillet (cast iron is preferred here) over high heat.
- Sear the roast well on all sides in the skillet.
- Season with pepper and/or any other seasonings you like.
- Place the roast on a rack set into a rimmed baking sheet. Insert a probe into the very center and set the high-temp alarm for 125°F (52°C).
- Cook the roast in the oven until the high-temp alarm sounds. Verify that there are no lower temperatures in the meat with your Thermapen Mk4.
- Remove the meat from your oven and let it rest for 30 minutes, lightly tented with foil.
- Carve and serve!
Keywords: Prime Rib Roast, Christmas Roast