A rib sandwich that puts imposter rib sandwiches to shame. Real BBQ, real meat, real good.
- 2 slabs St. Louis style ribs, membrane removed
- BBQ rub of your choice
- BBQ sauce of your choice
- 2 loaves French bread
- Pickles (we liked bread and butter for this recipe)
- Preheat your smoker to 250°F (121°C). Use Smoke X4 to monitor the pit temp with its air probe.
- Season your ribs well with BBQ rub.
- Place the ribs in your smoker, insert needle probes and connect them to your Smoke X.
- Cook for 2 hours, until the bark has set well.
- Wrap the ribs in foil and re-insert the probes in between the bones.
- Return the ribs to the cooker and increase the air temp to 275°F (135°C). Set the high-temp alarm on the meat channels of your Smoke X to 200°F (93°C).
- When the alarm sounds, remove the ribs from their wrapping and give them a good coating of sauce using a silicone brush.
- Put them back in the smoker, put the probes back in, and set the probes’ high-temp alarm for 195°F (91°C). Verify temp and tenderness using your Thermapen® ONE.
- When the high-temp alarms sound, remove the ribs from the smoker. Let them rest while you prepare your bread, etc.
- Slice your loaves of French bread all the way through and toast their faces in some butter in a hot pan, on a griddle, or under a broiler.
- Pull the bones from the ribs and lay one rack on each loaf of bread.
- Sauce the ribs with more BBQ sauce, top them with sliced onion and pickles, and close the sandwich.
- Slice and serve!