For the roast:
- 3lb. Boneless New York striploin roast, USDA Prime or Top Choice
4 Tbl. Good quality beef base
4 Tbl. Toasted sesame oil
4 Tbl. Sugars Barbecue Serious Bull! Dry Rub
For the miso butter
- 1 C salted butter, softened
- 3 Tblsp light miso paste
- 7–8 cloves roasted garlic
- 3–4 green onions, thinly sliced
For the Strip Roast:
- In a small bowl combine the beef base and sesame oil until well blended. Using gloved hands, rub the beef base over the roast, then follow with the Serious Bull! dry rub.
- Cover the seasoned roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove the roast and set aside to warm up a bit while the grill is heating up.
- Set up a charcoal grill with the coals banked to one side of the cooker. If desired, place a chunk or two of your favorite cooking wood just to the side of the coals to smoke without totally catching fire and burning up completely.
- The grill temp should be low on the cool side of the grill, around 250°F (121°C).
- Start the roast on the ‘cooler’ side of the grill, close the lid and let cook for about 20–25 minutes. Monitor the temperature using a Signals™ multi-channel thermometer.
- With a pair of meat forks place the roast over the coals and grill each side of the roast for about 2 minutes, keep turning and flipping the roast to evenly char and create a bark. This should take about 9 minutes total depending on the level of the coals.
- Check the internal temperature of the roast using a Thermapen Mk4. The ideal medium-rare temperature would be 125°F (52°C). If needed, move the roast back to the cooler grill side and finish cooking until it reaches your desired internal temperature.
- Let rest for 10 minutes lightly covered with foil. Slice the roast and immediately brush with the Roasted Garlic Miso Butter—see below for butter recipe.
For the Roasted Garlic Miso Butter (can all be made in advance)
- Roast the garlic (can be done in advance of even making the butter)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Cut the top off of a head of garlic. Place the head in the center of a piece of foil, douse it with a splash of olive oil, and wrap it in the foil.
- Put the garlic-pouch in the oven and roast for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, unwrap and allow to cool. This can be done days in advance.
- In a small bowl, smash up the garlic cloves until reduced to a pulp.
- Add miso paste and scallions and fold to combine.
- Add the softened butter to the miso mixture and fold with a spatula until well incorporated.
- Set aside and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop. Before using, let the butter mixture come to room temperature.
- To serve, brush the butter mixture over sliced meat.