Turkey meatballs adapted from Turkey Tailgate Meatballs, at turkeysmoke.org
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2/3 C panko bread crumbs
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika (smoked, if you like)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl. Mix, either by hand or with a spatula, until well combined and homogenous.
- Portion the mixture into whole-walnut-sized balls, rolling to shape.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the meatballs in the hot oil and start to cook. After a minute or two, check to see if they are browned on the side touching the pan. If so, use an offset spatula or other thin tool (like a butterknife) to turn them to another side.
- Once browned on the second side, you should be able to turn them and move them around by shaking the pan.
- Start temping the meatballs all around the pan with your Thermapen ONE. Once the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), remove them from the pan. Thermapen ONE is fast enough that you can easily check every meatball.
- As the meatballs reach their pull temperature, remove them from the pan.
- Serve them up with your favorite dipping sauce and reap the praise of your peers!