This delicious stuffed loin doubles down on the combo of apples and pork to great effect. Impress your family with this perfectly cooked treat.Print
The recipe to go with our video.
For the pork
- 2 1/2 – 3 lb boneless pork loin
- 2 oz Sugars Barbecue Oink and Hollar rub
- Kosher salt
- Apple Glaze (recipe included)
For the stuffing
- Prepared cornbread (1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix is perfect)
- 4 Tbsp butter or bacon grease
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 C celery, diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sugars Barbecue Cluckin’ Awesome BBQ dry rub
- 1/2 C chicken broth
For the apple glaze
- 1 14-18 oz jar apple jelly
- 1 container apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
- In a skillet, over medium high heat, sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery, and apple until soft, about 8 minutes. Fold in the thyme, parsley and Cluckin’ Awesome dry rub, and sauté for one more minute.
- Add half the chicken broth and cook until almost fully reduced. Add the remaining chicken broth, bring to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared cornbread and sautéd vegetables until well mixed. If the mix is too dry, add a little chicken broth to moisten. Set mix aside. This can be done a day in advance.
- With a long, sharp knife, carefully butterfly the pork loin (use can ask your butcher to do this for you).
- Season the inside of the pork loin with Oink and Hollar rub.
- Spread an even layer of the prepared cornbread stuffing.
- Working at one side lift the edge of the pork and roll over into a jelly roll being careful not to press too hard and push the cornbread filling out.
- Secure the pork with butcher twine. Once the roast is tied, season liberally with the Oink and Hollar rub. Place the pork roast on a rack set in a rimmed backing sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C)
- Insert the probe from a ChefAlarm® into the center of the pork loin. Set the high-temp alarm for 135°F (57°C), the temp we’ll start glazing at. Cook the loin.
- Make the glaze: Combine the jelly, the concentrate and the mustard in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- When the ChefAlarm sounds, reset the ChefAlarm high-alarm to 145°F (63°C) and apply glaze. Continue cooking, glazing every 3-5 minutes until the pull temperature is reached.
- Remove the loin from the oven and let it rest on the countertop for 10 minutes before slicing and serving
Allow the roast to rest
To finish, raise the smoker temperature to 325* and apply the apple glaze to the roast, repeating every 15 minutes until the glaze is used up, remove roast from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.