- 8 to 10-lb cooked, smoked, bone-in ham (shank-end preferred)
- 2 C apple juice
- Hickory, oak, or maple wood chips
Fire Up Your Smoker
- Preheat your smoker to maintain a temperature range of 225-250°F (107-121°C). Add a wood chunk, close the lid, and allow smoke to develop in your cooker.
- Secure your Smoke X2’s air probe to the smoker’s surface with a grate clip.
Prepare the Ham
- Remove the ham from its packaging, rinse, and pat dry.
- Place the ham in a disposable aluminum foil pan.
- Place the probe into the center of the thickest part of the ham, being careful to avoid the bone.
- Set this probe’s high alarm to 140°F (60°C).
Cook: Part 1
- Place the ham-pan on the smoker grate. Spritz the ham with apple juice in a spray bottle, and close the lid.
- Spritz the ham with apple juice every 15 minutes for 2 hours. (Having a TimeStick® around your neck is a great way to be sure you never miss a spritz!) Spritzing the ham keeps the surface tacky, allowing the smoke to penetrate the meat better.
Make the Glaze
- Whisk all ingredients together—done!
Cook: Part 2
- After the two hours or spritzing have gone by, increase your smoker’s temperature to 275-300°F (149°C).
- Set the air-temp channel’s low alarm to 270°F (132°C), and the high alarm to 305°F (152°C).
- Liberally brush the glaze all over the ham and close the lid.
- Brush the ham with glaze every 15 minutes. If you prefer your smoked ham to be extra sticky and glazey, double the glaze recipe and be sure to brush the glaze between the slices. A spiral-sliced ham has more exposed surface area for the glaze to attach to. Yum!
- Continue to cook the ham until its internal temperature reaches 140°F (60°F). This may take 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size of your ham and the temperature maintenance of your smoker.
- When your Smoke X2’s high alarm sounds, verify the ham’s internal temperature by spot-checking it in multiple areas with a Thermapen.
Rest and Serve
- Once the pull temperature is verified, remove the ham from the smoker, cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and let the meat rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with pan juices.