- Light a large chimney full of charcoal. Once it is all lit, empty it into your grill. You want a hot bed that isn’t scorchingly-hot at the grill surface. Go for about 425°F (218°C).
- Season your wings liberally with BBQ rub. Place them in a single layer on the grill and cook with the lid closed, turning them every 4 minutes. (Use an Extra Big & Loud Timer to keep track of the time.)
- Meanwhile, heat the cayenne pepper sauce in a small saucepan until it reaches about 105°F (41°C) as measured on a Thermapen Mk4. Whisk the butter, cut into pats, into the sauce, heating slightly if it’s not hot enough to fully melt the butter.
- When the wings reach an internal temp no lower than 175°F (79°C), remove them from the grill.
- Place the wings in a large bowl, sauce liberally, and toss.
- Dig in.