Based on Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Pita with Tahini-Yogurt Sauce by Rhoda Boone for Epicurious.com.
For the chicken
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 pitas
- 1 C full-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp grated garlic
- 1/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped dill, plus more for serving
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped mint, plus more for serving
- 1/2 large English cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4″-slices (about 1 C)
- 2 C shredded romaine lettuce
- 3/4 C small cherry tomatoes, cut in half (about 5 oz)
- 1/3 C thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat for direct-heat cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, 3/4 tsp of the salt, 1/4 tsp of the pepper, and 2 Tbsp of the oil.
- Add the chicken thighs and toss them to coat with the oil and spice mixture.
- Make the sauce by combining the yogurt, tahini, lemon zest, garlic, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in the fresh dill and mint.
- In another bowl, combine the tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, and sliced onion with the remaining lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Grill the chicken over direct heat, turning them every few minutes until they start to look char-cooked and brown. Use a Thermapen to take the temp of each piece in its thickest part as you cook, aiming for a minimum internal temperature of 175°F (79°C).
- Grill the flatbreads for about 30 seconds per side to warm them and toast them slightly, then slice the chicken thinly, shortways across.
- Prepare the wraps and serve, sprinkling with extra mint and dill. For added street-food cred, wrap each in foil.
If you can handle working both the cooking of the chicken and the making of the salad and sauce at the same time, by all means, do so!